Tel: (818) 347-9665 PST

TheMuseumSFV@gmail.com

www.TheMuseumSFV.org




Wednesday, July 17, 2013

THE SWIMMING POOL AT THE PICKWICK IN BURBANK

CHERISHING OUR VALLEY                       2013

The North Hollywood Plunge, Andy Devine's Crystal Plunge in Van Nuys, Pop's Willow Lake and the Pickwick Swim School in Burbank - some of the ways families who didn't have access to home pools stayed cool in the 1950's and '60s.

Pickwick Swim School - postcard - gift to The Museum of the San Fernando Valley from Gary Fredburg 2013.  (click on image to enlarge it.)


1 comment:

tea said...

I worked at Pickwick Pool in the Summer of '56. My job was to pick up the clothing baskets from the grass area that were used to store your street clothes in. It paid me 75 cents an hour. I was 14 at the time. The place was a large circular pool with both high and low diving boards, a large grassy area, a swimsuit shop, ping pong tables, a snack bar, and a beach volleyball pit. Oh, if memory serves me, it also had a gymnastic area with rings. I mustn't forget there were lots of palm trees. It was like a resort. I almost forgot to mention the most important feature: lots of GIRLS!!! It was a fun job but I got fired for spending too much lime socializing rather than picking up the clothing storage bags. JAG GAYNOR