Tel: (818) 347-9665 PST

TheMuseumSFV@gmail.com

www.TheMuseumSFV.org




Sunday, May 4, 2008

R. C. BATES - The Walking Poet

Gerald Fecht and the Poet R.C. Bates - 2008 - Photo in the archives of The Museum of the San Fernando Valley
Like most city people, I often too quickly dismiss people trying to sell me something on the street. But this last Saturday afternoon in the Silver Lake district, after my usual nod showing no interest, I realized that the man I had just encountered with a real poet - selling his inspirations to the world that needs inspiration badly.
I bought a book of R. C.'s work entitled "If It Ain't One Thing It's Another."
I've read the poems twice now, and once again out loud. From friends who live in the Silver Lake area of our city, I've learned that R. C. Bates offers his treasures regularly as he walks along Sunset Boulevard.
And, he graciously allowed me to be photographed with him!

The Museum of the San Fernando Valley collects the works of Los Angeles poets.
click on the picture to enlarge it to its full size.




The San Fernando Valley deserves a great Museum of history and culture.

No comments: