CHERISHING OUR VALLEY 2013
This great old photograph, given to The Museum of the San Fernando Valley by Gary Fredburg of Burbank, may be the oldest existing picture of the original home in Kagel Canyon. Built "by Mr. Kagel himself." The adobe building was constructed c. 1900. Kagel, like to few hundered Kagel Canyon residents who still reside in this unincorporated part of the San Fernando Valley, was a rugged individualist.
The first settlers came to rustic Kagel Canyon in the 1880s. There were still active signs that Tongva people or another Native American group lived nearby. This was made possible by one of the mountain steams in the area. There is a sacred burial site of those Indians in Dexter Park nearby.
One can still find evidence of the graphite mines that once dotted the Kagel Canyon community.
Collecting and preserving the history of Kagel and Lopez Canyons is an important mission of our Museum Community.
Home of Mr. Kagel c. 1900 - Historic photograph given to The Museum of the San Fernando Valley by Gary Fredburg in 2013. This photo has an inscription "First and only house built in Kagel Canyon by Mr. Kagel himself