BUILDING A GREAT MUSEUM FOR THE SAN FERNANDO VALLEY
BRAND AVENUE – GLENDALE, CALIFORNIA
by Monica Corpuz - Graduate Student CSUN
Glendale’s Brand Boulevard is a main hub of activity today, with a wide selection of shops, restaurants, businesses and cultural landmarks. The street is named after Leslie Coombs Brand (1859-1925), who helped to develop Glendale by helping to build and facilitate transportation and real estate in the city.
Glendale officially became a town in 1887 when it comprised only about 150 acres worth of land. In the early 1900’s Edgar D. Goode and D.W. Hunt also helped to develop Glendale by bringing the railroad through the city. Both of these men also have streets named after them, and they’re all by Brand Boulevard. Finally, Glendale became a city in 1906, and due partly to the glamorous and popular Alex Theater, which is located on the street, Brand Boulevard quickly became an important part of the city.
It wasn’t until a surge of immigrants in the 80’s and 90’s that really diversified Brand Boulevard. Different types of cuisine and shops popped up which only increased the street’s popularity. Today it is a central hub of Glendale. It is located close to the Glendale Galleria, the Americana, art galleries and large corporate headquarters. Shopping, dining, looking at art and then catching a show at the Alex- what a great way to spend a day in Glendale!