2010 -- THE YEAR OF VALLEY HISTORY
1959 newspaper photograph - Morton Organ Company - Article in the Archives of The Museum of the San Fernando Valley - gift of Beth Perrin 2010
In 1913, E.S. Johnson purchased the Los Angeles based Murray Harris Organ Company. Johnson moved the organ plant to Van Nuys and resold it to the California Organ Company in 1915. In 1917. the plant was sold yet again to Robert Morton. In three years, the Morton Organ Company was the second largest producer of theater and home organs in the United States. In 1933, the Robert Morton Organ Company closed its door permanently.
What would have caused the collapse of the Robert Morton Organ Company? Did this occur with the spread of home record players and "talkie" films?
Join your Museum on Saturday May 8th at 10:am, on our first historic walking tour of Van Nuys. Led by Richard Hilton, Chair of The Museum's Tour Programs, it will be a big adventure. $10 suggested donation - call 1 (818) 347-9665 for details and reservations.