LA Heritage Alliance Meeting - August 2009
Your Museum representatives attended the Third Quarterly Meeting of the Los Angeles Heritage Alliance on August 8th, at the beautiful old McCarty Memorial Church in the historic Adams district of Los Angeles. The grand old church only has a fraction of its peak membership.
The meeting dealt with:
1) A Tourism Pilot program between the Alliance and L.A. Inc. One of the most used websites to find what is going on in Los Angeles is L.A. Inc. and listings of the activities of the LA Heritage Alliance members would receive a considerable attention.
2) The benefits of the LA Heritage Alliance calendar.
3) Initial plans for LA Heritage Day 2010
4) San Fernando Valley Heritage Network (The Museum’s proposal)
5) Preparations for the City of Los Angeles’ birthday 2110
Note: The Museum of the San Fernando Valley has a good collection of Los Angeles Bicentennial materials, artifacts, posters etc.
6) A committee formed to organize an evening mixer for LA Heritage Alliance Board members and staff.
7) A detailed account of the proposed Cultural Heritage Ordinance Amendments for the City of Los Angeles. A major issue here is the preservation of the “Interiors” of structures in addition to the “Exteriors”.
The historical integrity of structures is often destroyed when buildings are “gutted”.
Board members Willard Simms and Gerald Fecht attended this meeting on behalf of your Museum Community.
The San Fernando Valley, in the heart of the Creative Center of the World, deserves a great Museum of history and culture.