Tel: (818) 347-9665 PST

TheMuseumSFV@gmail.com

www.TheMuseumSFV.org




Tuesday, May 5, 2009

STUDIO CITY IMAGE COMES FROM NORTH CAROLINA

Studio City - vintage postcard collection of The Museum of the San Fernando Valley 2009 - electronic image - gift of Harvey Tow. (click on image to enlarge)

We just received this postcard image of Ventura Boulevard facing East in Studio City, "a main thoroughfare extending through this beautiful Valley from Hollywood to points north on U.S. Highway 101. The image was sent to The Museum of the San Fernando Valley from Harvey Tow who resides in Greensboro, North Carolina. It was accompanied by this email message:
"Hi,
I was just perusing your website and having lived in the SF Valley for over 50 years, thought you might like this postcard, if you haven't already gotten one. I think it was taken around 1957, the year that I graduated from North Hollywood High School."

Go Bingtown!

6 comments:

Gerald R. Fecht said...

Hi, again, Jerry-
I appreciate and like the posting, very much. However, you made a slight goof. I graduated from No. Hwd. High School in '57, NOT Notre Dame. Geeeeeeeeez.

Holy Cow! Now, if I can only get this blog to let me edit my mistake.
Jer

Gerald R. Fecht said...

Hey
Every once in awhile our blog let's me edit out an error. This time I was able to put in the right school, North Hollywood HS.

Gerald R. Fecht said...

Maybe, this is worth mentioning re: Studio City Postcard..?.
The intersection at the bottom is that of Whitsett Ave. and Ventura Blvd. The view is facing east. The Shell gas station was owned and operated at the time by John Perrelli.
h

Bob said...

Gerry that picture looks doctored. It looks like it was taken from Sunswept drive but the background mountains don't fit. Cahuenga peak and Santa Monica mountains are much smaller. The multistory building on the right doesn't belong. I would guess that the card maker superimposed another mountain photograph on the top 1/3. My guess is that the mountains are in So Cal probably the San Gabriels east of LA.

Bob said...

Gerry that picture looks doctored. It looks like it was taken from Sunswept drive but the background mountains don't fit. Cahuenga peak and Santa Monica mountains are much smaller. The multistory building on the right doesn't belong. I would guess that the card maker superimposed another mountain photograph on the top 1/3. My guess is that the mountains are in So Cal probably the San Gabriels east of LA.

Phil Parodi said...

John Perrelli was my Uncle. He and his two brothers, Joe, Peter, and I (Phil) became known as the Perrelli Brothrs. John also leased another shell station on Sherman Way....so we ran two of them. Thanks for the write up, brings back a lot of memories !