Tel: (818) 347-9665 PST

info@TheMuseumSFV.org

www.TheMuseumSFV.org




Saturday, December 27, 2008

1895 VALLEY SUPPLIES LOS ANGELES FOOR STORES

1895 Sixth and Broadway Los Angeles - Photo in the Archives of The Museum of the San Fernando Valley - gift of Grary Fredburg 2008 (click on image to enlarge)

By 1895, San Fernando Valley farms regularly supplied Los Angeles grocery stores, such as this creamery on 6th and Broadway, with agricultural products. In some cases, such as the Weddington Brothers General Store in Lankershim (now North Hollywood), farmers (often women) would bring milk and butter to a regional store, where it would be processed for local consumption or shipped by railroad "downtown" for resale.
The Museum of the San Fernando Valley collects artifacts and information about the Valley's agricultural tradition.


The San Fernando Valley, in the heart of the Creative Capital of the World, deserves a great Museum of history and culture.

No comments: