Pacific Electric Railway and the Red Car - what a history. What memories for all that rode these cars to and from Los Angeles and through parts of the valley.
Please read this terrific article by Olga Grigoryants of the Los Angeles Daily News (LINK HERE).
A few factoids about the Pacific Electric:
1911 - Pacific Electric Railway Company begins service to the Valley
The car line was approximately 19-miles operating from Los Angeles along Chandler Boulevard, curling north up Van Nuys Blvd. to Sherman Way. The line later ran to the areas known today as Reseda and Canoga Park.
1913 - more than 368,000 passengers boarded the line.
1926 - passengers totaled one million.
Late 1940s - after WWII, the Pacific Electric popularity began to decline.
1963 -the last Red Car line was taken down.