Glendale Sanatorium - Postcard in the collection of The Museum of the San Fernando Valley 2008 - Gift of Gary Fredburg (click on image to enlarge)
One of the most important medical centers in the San Fernando Valley is the historic Glendale Sanatorium organized by members of the Seventh Day Adventist Church in 1904. A church elder, John Burden led the organizational effort to create the medical center, at the encouragement of Ellen G. White, a prophetic leader of the Adventist religious movement. Ms. White (November 1827 to July 1915) spoke of having an "urgency from God" to build a medical sanatorium in the Los Angeles area.
On August 24, 1905 Glendale Sanatorium began its service to Southern California residents. This pre-dated the incorporation of the City of Glendale. By 1922, the Sanatorium had evolved into a full-service hospital center.
Glendale Adventist Hospital - 1509 Wilson Terrace - Glendale, CA 91206 - 1-(818) 409-8562
Victory Memorial Viaduct - Entrance to Glendale, California - Postcard in the collection of The Museum of the San Fernando Valley 2008 - Gift of Gary Fredburg (click on image to enlarge)